Friday, April 29, 2011

Being a nurse...

So last night I came home defeated. I worked the last two days, twelve hour shifts that completely kicked my butt. I have almost been a nurse for six years...long enough to know my job well and to definitely have a grip on managing my patients. Well let me tell you, yesterday was an awful day. I just couldn't seem to keep up with every need. Which in turn, makes you feel pretty terrible on the inside...basically you feel like you suck at doing your job. I mean I'm a nurse...it's not like I can accidentally screw up and just brush it off and try again. I take care of pediatric patients, which also reads as people's most precious treasures and I will beat you silly if you do anything harmful to my child. So when I work I have to bring my best game every time. Not to mention we were informed one of our frequent patients had passed away the morning before, so more often than not there is always a little grief in the back of our nurse brains. So yesterday was a disaster and I didn't leave my 7a-7p shift until almost 9pm. I came home, showered, hopped into bed and did a little blog reading and came across a post that immediately reminded me why I "do what I do." Because yesterday in jest a lot of us joked about why didn't we choose a different profession. Anyway, it was a post about a birth story from Young House Love (love reading your blog guys!) and she wrote of how when her and her unborn child's life were on the brink of emergency and unexpected outcomes were in the air the hospital staff were "invested" and "so on it" to ensure the best possible outcome. I have just got to say that is my new goal...to be on it and invested in the care of my patient. I mean I am always invested in making the right decisions and providing the best care for my patient...but I want them to be able to feel my "investment." There is a difference. I think that is the part of nursing we can sometimes easily forget. The way you make people feel when you care for them at some of their most vulnerable moments.
So I'm gonna be invested. Even if I have to pee really bad or haven't eaten, or a parent coughs obnoxiously in my face when I am caring for their child, or when a developmentally delayed person lets out an audible body function much too close to my face. True story, all in the same day! You can laugh because I have to in order to keep my sanity!

4 comments:

Ms. Emily Ann said...

Sounds like you've got an incredible outlook, and truly love what you do, despite the bad days {and, ahem... farts!}. Just don't beat yourself up for feel exhausted or having bad days, it happens to us all. Hope this week is a great one!

Running Mama said...

Good luck with your job. I'm sure you're awesome...just keep chugging along and smiling! Thank goodness for nurses.

runningtobeskinny.com

Jessica said...

Awwww...sounds like that was a rough day for you...but you have a career that really is with a purpose...you should be proud!!

I am blog hopping today and I am happy to stop by your blog!!

Please stop by either or both of my blogs (and become a follower if you aren't one already):

So Stylilized is where I am currently offering FREE Custom Blog Designs at http://sostylilized.blogspot.com

Jessicas Lil Corner is where I blog about family and life at http://jessicaslilcorner.blogspot.com

Have a Happy Friday and a blessed weekend! :0)

Morgan said...

A close friend of mine is a nurse and Spike works with nurses so I know a lot about what super hero's you ladies (and gentlemen) really are! Don't beat yourself up too much for having a bad day, without you the world would not be as awesome as it is!!!

Good luck with your upcoming training and I hope your friend is able to figure out her thyroid situation too!